Tuesday, November 4, 2008

No pressure, kids!

Obviously last time there was a Presidential Election, I did not discuss it with my children (the oldest being 4 at the time). This time, however, we have had quite a few discussions about politics - their school has been talking about it a lot and with Prop 8 and an exciting Presidental Election we have talked about it quite a bit at home (miraculously the discussion of prop 8 did not lead to questions about deeper related issues, whew!). In fact, for Family Home Evening, Robie conducted a little Civics lesson, in which he was pleasantly surprised at how much the kids already knew about how our country was formed, etc. I think the highlight was when he pulled out his little mini-copy of the Constitution and Brooke whispered with great respect before he even said what it was, "That's the Constitution".
I do wonder if they might have put a little too much emphasis into getting the kids involved in the election. The school had a little fake election at the school and both Brooke and Ashley were a little disturbed that supposedly all the other kids were voting a different way - only concerning that they kind of thought that maybe the vote at their school actually decided who was going to be President (now that would be too much pressure, right?). One of their kids actually came running to his mom after school crying and sobbing, "I don't want to move".. She was totally confused, but finally we realized that he had heard people at school saying that if their candidate didn't win they were going to move (susan sarandon anyone?) out of the country, so since his candidate didn't win he thought they might really have to move - hilarious!
It's almost over - what will all the commercials be about now? I"m just sick of being called mean names on radio/tv just for having my own beliefs and supporting prop 8 and seriously if I hear the words "hope" or "change" one more time I'm gonna puke. My favorite video footage of the night was definitely Jesse Jackson watching Obama give his acceptance speech - he was crying, but don't you wonder if he isn't maybe just crying because he can not believe it was not him up there?Good luck democrats.. should be an interesting 4 years - I'm moving to Tahiti (ok, that's totally just a dream regardless of who won the election :))

8 comments:

Laura said...

I'm there with you, let's ban the word "change" for at least two weeks. Also, can we bunk up with you in Tahiti?

diane said...

Ooooh, Tahiti sounds good. Or maybe Florida next year.

Liz said...

The school thing is funny. Cyrus told me that if Obama one that kids would have to go to school on saturdays and sundays. HA HA.
We have had some great discussions also, but some were consisting of me trying to unravel some teachers views on a candidate. All in all "Hope" lol can still be alive

Emily said...

Yeah, I loved all the people crying. Give me a break. I will so meet you in Tahiti. It's snowing in Utah right now. Boo for winter!

tawnya said...

Ha! I said the same thing about Jesse Jackson to Isaac...tears of happiness or of the "you've got to be freaking kidding me? / Why not me" variety or a little of both?

Bryn said...

You are just hilarious! Seriously! we said the same thing about Jesse!

Jenny said...

I love your FHE with the kids & Robie's mini-Constitution! BTW, I thought the same thing about Jesse Jackson.

3WimmerBoys said...

I thought the same thing about Jesse Jackson, of course that's why he's crying HE was supposed to be the one making history!