Friday, September 19, 2008

I don't think I could do it

The last couple of days Brooke's class has been focusing on pioneers. I've always thought that I would probably be a crappy pioneer, but after I joined them on a field trip to Old Poway Park, I was able to pinpoint a few specifics
1 - Laundry: I can't even get the loads done with a modern washing machine. They had an exhibit at one of the old houses there showing that a woman would have spent around 60 hours doing laundry a week. Is that even possible? I guess they had to iron everything (there were numerous versions of the irons shown below) This week I"m going to try to go all week with zero hours of laundry - how's that for appreciating modern conveniences?



2 - Electricity: I realize this is sort of obvious, but seriously when the kids started listing all the things you wouldn't be able to do (I guess they didn't have computers?) . seriously rough life..

3 - Sewing : I am bad enough at sewing, so the idea of not even having fabric and a sewing machine isn't really working for me. They actually taught the kids how to make their own thread from sheep's wool - I mean, that is a lot of effort for a blanket! Thanks to Sunshine (who, as a sidenote would be an awesome pioneer) for the awesome contrasting lining/authentic ties pioneer dress she fashioned last year and let Brooke borrow for dressing up today. If something does happen and we are living like pioneers again - I'm stalking Sunshine and living next door.




Of course, being a pioneer wasn't ALL bad..


on the plus side:


1) No gyms - you pretty much get a workout just wearing your big pioneer dress and doing all the work around the house constantly!


2) No calls to 911...


3) Kids did a lot more work back then (I'll be working to incorporate some of my learning into our chore charts) - Ashley will be fetching water from the neighbors and Brooke will be going around trading our old fabrics for fruits and vegetables - keep an eye out, they'll be on horseback :)


The "rendezvous" at Old Poway Park is actually there through the weekend and was really pretty cool - they had people dressed up in mountain man outfits with all the gear, actually camping there all weekend with their families, I might even go back with the little kids!


In the meantime, I think I'll just be thankful for what we've got, which reminds me I get to go to the grocery store tomorrow - unless someone has some milk from their cow they want to give us?

8 comments:

Liz said...

I tried to think of how I would do it when I threw my back out. I do think that they let their clothes get a little dirtier then we do before they wash, but 60 hours a week?

diane said...

I would never have survived that life.
Your pioneer girl is cute.

Jen said...

I am with you on the whole laundry thing. 60 hours...that is just pure crazyness.

3WimmerBoys said...

Seriously, when they say we live in the toughest times, I always beg to differ. I can't imagine being a pioneer-no epideral! I guess Sunshine could have done it!

Annalisa said...

LOL, I totally agree, I'd be a crappy pioneer too.

Laura said...

Make sure you stick to that "no laundry this week" pledge. although, that just means Robie will have twice as much to do when he returns..you'd be a very good pioneer, you'd have an itinerary all planned out for our trek and outfit suggestions too. I'd cross the plains with you.

The Family Rasheed said...

Brooke looks super cute as a pioneer! I think it would be fun to be a pioneer, but only if I was a rich pioneer that could afford a sewing machine, real thread, and outside laundry services!

smiths5 said...

I like # 3, LOL. Would youlet your kids ride horseback up here? I have some pretty tasty fruit ;-)