Friday, February 27, 2009

True forgiveness

Why is that my children can not remember what I have asked them to do for more than 2 minutes and yet, when I do something wrong they remember it for weeks! What could I have done so wrong, you ask? Well, it's all about the pancakes. Last week, I finally threw away the pancake mix that I have had for about 3 years (seriously) - I mean, come on, that's just gross, right? Clearly we have not eaten a lot of pancakes in that time. Of course, as soon as I threw it away, I had a request for pancakes. In my great wisdom, I decided that homemade pancakes would be better anyway, so I whipped some up. Only one problem - you need 1 tbsp of oil, and I was all out of just plain oil. So I substituted the flavored oil I had in the cupboard - I had garlic, red pepper and basil, so I figured Basil might be kind of nice - it's only 1 little tbsp anyway.
That was a major error in judgment because they were, in fact, totally disgusting - we threw them away and had cereal, not a big deal I figured. So I bought more pancake mix and offered to make pancakes. All 3 girls declined my offer. I bribed Brooke by telling her she could flip the pancakes if she would just try one - I even detailed how these were different and why they should just give me another shot.Brooke called a conference - they stood discussing whether or not they should try my pancakes for an extended period of time until. In the end, they forgave me (which is pretty lucky considering I accidentally forgot to put the eggs in and used water instead of milk). Maybe I should just forget about special breakfast foods, since I don't read directions very well in the mornings - who really likes pancakes anyway?

11 comments:

jessica said...

Now that is hilarious! I bet that EVOO is great when hot, rosemary french bread is dipped in it with a little ground pepper.

lisset said...

oi. now that is a big oops with the pancakes. too funny. if i messed up breakfast (both ryan and ethan's favorite meal) i'm pretty sure i'd be exiled.

Maren said...

That is hilarious, I can see your girls over there conferencing in the corner. I would have loved to hear that conversation!

Emily said...

Hilarious! The girls are hilarious and you are hilarious trying the flavored oil and thinking it would work. Oh to be pregnant again.

Holly said...

Thanks for making me laugh.

smiths5 said...

So, now that I know you're pregnant, I've re-read the pancake incident, I realize your forgetfulness is due to those fabulous hormones and not an inability to follow directions ;-)

diane said...

Now I'm craving pancakes.

Maree said...

HeeHee, I remember pregnant brain. Oh, I still HAVE it....but I remember it too! And MY kids LOVE pancakes. They would eat them 3 times a day every day of the week--if I had the energy to flip that many pancakes. Good luck! I think we need to introduce you to Krusteaz--just add water!

The Bradley's said...

I can totally see the them having there conference, in child volume whispers. That is funny.

The Family Rasheed said...

I can just see Brooke, Ashley,and little Lauren huddled together in deep conversation about the pancakes! That is sooo funny!

3WimmerBoys said...

That is hilarious! My kids always remember my mistakes, it's so true! I would have loved to have tasted those.