Saturday, March 7, 2009

just don't get it...

OK, a new laptop is on its way - in fact, it will be here in a couple of days. Just a reminder that if the Tylers have the chance to buy an extended warranty on any electronic item, they should do it (yippee) - because nothing much electronic lasts around here for more than a couple years (just ask the broken camcorder and cameras in the drawer right now). Anyway, in the meantime I have been using my Ipod to cruise the internet which has been fantastic for reading other people's blogs (not great for commenting or updating my own, sadly)- checking out random news stories, and even trying my hand again at Sodoku. Seriously, I can not do it. I am generally good with numbers, but I have never been able to succesfully complete even one hand (on the easiest setting). It is really pitiful. Last night I just kept pushing the "hint" button until almost the whole thing was filled in and I just had to go back and change my first 4 that I tried to fill in myself incorrectly. Finished in record time.


maybe I should switch to wordsearches - I'm pretty good at those - at least that's what the girls say when they ask me to find their hard words on the word searches they are working on at church (hey, at least it's not the crochet they took to Stake Conference - sketchy I know). Anyway, I think I have a friend that is going to teach me some tips and tricks and then I am going to become a Sodoku master - or maybe that was just another weird pregnancy dream...

6 comments:

Bryn said...

I am so glad I am not the only one. Allie had to do some for homework and I couldn't help her! Word searches I am sooo much better at!

Melanie said...

I always cheat when I play Sudoku. It makes it much more fun!

willblatt said...

Jessica and I were so addicted to those that we would race each other before bed each night. Maybe that's more a sign of how competitive our marriage is than how good we are at sudoku.

The Family Rasheed said...

I love sudoku!!! I love puzzle games! I think it's cool that your ipod has internet access. I only have a shuffle, maybe it's time to update my own!

Kim W said...

I'm shocked that you aren't good at Sodoku, but soooo grateful. I always feel like I'm a little slow when I can't pass off a medium one. I know you're brilliant, so I am just going to say it must be the lame puzzle. Ha!

Jennifer said...

I just saw today an article on this guy's ultimate way to solve Sudoku. I think it's still not enough to help me since it said you might have some with 2 possible answers and you have to try both to rule one out, but seems reasonable:

• Scan the puzzle for any "forced" numbers in blank squares within the 3-by-3 boxes, ones in which there are enough surrounding numbers filled in that it could be only one number.

• Mark up the rest of the puzzle, noting in the open squares every possible number that might occupy the square.

• After you've marked up the puzzle, look at the number combinations row by row, column by column and interior box by box. If one number stands out as unique in that row, column or box, it belongs in the square in which you've written it.

• Repeat this search until only one of the numbers you've written in each of the squares is left. It will be the right number.