We just got back from a fun family day trip up to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley. It all started a couple weeks ago when Brooke got to choose a prominent figure for a speech at school so Robie encouraged her to choose Ronald Reagan. Next thing you know he is taking a day off work and we are driving 3 hours up to the Library. I know they call it a library, but really it is a museum. There is a library that apparently has thousands of papers, etc, but you have to have an appointment and have something you specifically want to see to go to that part, so we stuck with the more museum-ish portion of the library (Robie gets annoyed when I call it is a museum, but seriously, that's what is). Anyway, it was really cool! Would I recommend it, yes! Would I tell you to drive up and back in one day - um, maybe?
The Air Force One section is cool - you can go inside the plane as well, which I actually didn't think was that exciting, but just the views and the setup of the room is amazing... . .JPG)
.JPG)
I learned a lot about Ronald Reagan and even just that whole general timeframe of our nation's history. Brooke was totally taking notes in her little notebook with cool quotes and fun facts (did you know Licorice was his favorite jelly belly flavor and that they always had a chocolate cake on board Air Force One?). The views are spectacular and after we were done the kids had a great time just playing around on the grass outside. Honestly, Robie and I both got emotional at different parts - they had a section of the Berlin Wall and numerous things from the Cold War. They even had his copy of the "Tear down this wall" speech with his markings on it, which I thought was really cool. Outside they had this huge real section from the Berlin Wall.
There were plaques all over with really cool anecdotes and stories from his life. One of my favorites was from a presidential caucus debate before he had even become president - some extra people showed up that wanted to be a part of the debate and of course, the mediator told them they had not been invited and they needed to leave. So Ronald Reagan says, "I paid for this microphone and they're staying" So they did and he won over 50% of the votes that night. Robie and I would be reading one of the plaques then call the other one over, like, you have to read this - so inspirational. By where they had a movie on Air Force One they had this little press set up - Fox is starting his public speaking career early..
The Air Force One section is cool - you can go inside the plane as well, which I actually didn't think was that exciting, but just the views and the setup of the room is amazing... . Lauren actually lasted much longer than I thought she would. She was about ready to lose it when we got to the "White House in miniature section". Once she realized she could see inside, she was back on track. It is a replica of the entire White House all perfectly built to scale - 40 years of work, crazy! Almost lost her again after that, but nothing a trip to the cafeteria wouldn't solve. His grave site reads, "I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life". After having seen all the different things he had dealt with in his life and the presidency and the decisions he had made, it was so clear that he really did believe that everyone could be valuable to the world. Did you know that when he was governor of California he had a welfare program and everyone worked for their welfare money to try and get some skills so they could then get regular jobs and move off the welfare system - HELLO!! how is there a downside to that? There were obviously many political overtones, and I know some people don't share his views on many issues, but I gotta say, I'm totally on board. I think the kids even learned something. He truly was "the Great Communicator."
6 comments:
We did that and the Nixon library while we lived there. They are SO fascinating!
That podium fits Fox. Do we have some foreshadowing?
So fun! I grew up in Simi and my parents live about a mile from the library.....they have lots of room for visitors :)
Sounds like a great trip. Maybe in 5 years when my kids might enjoy it we will go.
I was a little worried that maybe Fox wasn't too into it, what with his totally looking the other way whilst on Robie's shoulders, but it looks like he came around in time to make his debut on the big podium. Seriously, so cute!
I think I got a little verklempt just reading your post, so maybe we need to plan a trip there!
Love your pics! We had a great time at the Reagan and Nixon library a few years ago. We are fortunate to be within driving distance of both.
Also, my vocabulary appears to need some work. I just had to google verklempt. Thanks for the word of the day Laura!
Post a Comment